09 May 2012

Not the Typical Art Studio


The Rhino Art District is just north of Santé Fe in Denver and while the area is still pretty new to the art scene, the artists are nothing short of remarkable. On Saturday May 5th, 2012 The Walnut Workshop (TWW) was holding an art exhibit. “Once every couple of months we like to hold events to help the artists who rent here get more publicity of their crafts. Plus it allows the public the opportunity to see the marvelous culture that workshops can contribute to artists”, said Mike Lustig, who is one of the managers of The Walnut Workshop.
And a marvelous culture it is, TWW does not just have the typical artists you expect to see: like painters and photographers but also others who break the definition and make their own mold.  As I was roaming around the workshop I met an artist who I did not anticipate encountering. “I am a Luthier, which pretty much translates to a person who makes stringed instruments-guitars to be exact”, said Craig Pfeister. His studio was filled with wood shavings and countless templates for guitars. When I inquired into the reason he decided to work at The Walnut Workshop his response was, “There is something magical about a group of artist working together. We all have our own studios but I love when I come into work. I know that I am going to get this type of ‘artist adrenaline’ when I walk through the door, just from the constant busyness and chaotic artistic liberties that we get to have here. It gets me pumped for my own art”. 
Craig’s exceptional construction of guitars do not disappoint in comparison to the other artist of The Walnut Workshop, “While other artists might be blaring loud music and firing the kiln, I am lighting guitars on fire for artistic effect and smashing old guitars for parts. It’s very destructive and exciting all the time!”  
                The passion for Craig’s work and the love of the art community matches that of the other artists I met.  Like Nick Hughes a contemporary painter and Bouvette who is an alternative photographer. So what is the one thing that The Walnut Workshop artist unanimously have in common? Their love for art and the continuing desire for a strong community of artists. Nick says, “There are a select few of us (artists) who have been in this district even before it became trendy. We love the unique dynamics that each artist brings. Our personalities and life experiences only add to the vibe of The Walnut Workshop. It’s creative, fun and alive around here. What we produce is a complete reflection of who we are and who we surround ourselves with.”



No comments:

Post a Comment